Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Daily Dime: Whales.

The daily dime rises from the ashes like the mighty phoenix, and just like the hydra it is, it returns with more heads than were struck down. Behold!

Gabe: typinghurts.blogspot.com
Todd: initialdraft.blogspot.com
Steph: stephonix.wordpress.com

---------


Lola,


I know you can't come yet, but words fail to describe life here with the Martians. You know what I've done? I can't even begin to tell you. But I will try, one day at a time.

Today, I woke up and went for a walk along one of the Greenways. I know you've not seen any, as they've not been installed near Earth yet, but they are giant sections of green grass that usually grow along a river. The whole thing floats in space, outside of the planet. In space! Can you believe it? I couldn't! It's real grass too! It has to be mowed, planted, and watered. I can't even tell you the last time I've seen grass, let alone in space!

I don't know how these Martians do it, but you can breath there too, and it's not cold like it should be. However they do it, you can look right up and see through to space. It's overwhelming. I almost cried the first time I saw it, and I could only be out there for less than fifteen minutes, but now I spend most of my days out there. In fact, if you look straight down and star hard, you can see space in between the blades of grass. It's amazing.

And then there's the whales.

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen a flock of them. They're just like earth whales. Humpbacks? Yeah, I think that's what they look like, except they're massive! Each of these whales could easily give birth to 10 or 15 whales on earth! They're so big that the flock blocked out the light of the baby sun the Martians created. That's a story in its own right (yes, they created a star and named it Elfin Sun). And I can hear you now. Don't worry, they didn't create it in the Sol system! You have to remember that I'm out in the Black.

So the whales. I was sitting on a small hill looking down the Greenway to one of the atriums that it feeds into (the atriums. You have to come!) when the light was completely blacked out. I couldn't see anything, except occasional stabs of light. I stood and tried to peer into the light, but I couldn't. One of the Martians was walking down the path and he saw me. Yes, they're just as tall and luminescent in real life as they are in the movies. I think it'd be impossible to make them look any more incredible than they do in real life. Anyways, this Martian saw me straining my eyes so he lent me his sight so I could see them up close. And you wouldn't believe it. The whales have wings! And these were domesticated whales! The lead whale had a saddle and rider. I couldn't believe it. This place is so incredible, you need to come here as soon as you can, Lola. I miss you, and can't wait for you to get here.


Love,

Roger (P'keet in the nearest possible human equivalent for Martian)


“Where did he come from doctor?” asked the nurse, concerned.

“We don't know, Lola. He showed up on our door step. Naked, and no ID. The only thing he had on him was that note balled up in his shivering fist, and he begged me to give it to you. Do you think we should call the cops?” asked the elderly doctor. Lola looked up into his sandbag eyes.

“No. I don't think that'd be necessary. He's just confused.”

-------

So, I think I'm going to start offering commentary on these things. I'll time stamp them and put them below the actual post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is great! science fiction? no, he's just crazy.

...or is he?

(c: thanks again for letting me join in on the fun! this is gonna be good.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

we're all a little crazy... you crazy.

Gabe Thexton said...

it's 2001 meets Fantasia.

at least in my head.

truly cool though