Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Daily Dime: I'll Save Us.

For information on the Daily Dime and those that contribute, hit this: http://dailydime.ning.com/

--------

You can see the eye and it is large. The iris feels all encompassing, a giant blue circle highlighting existence. The eye is large, and entirely covered in eyelid, though that doesn't stop seeing or being seen. The eyelid is transparent: nonexistent. You see right through.

I'll save us.” That's what I told them: “I'll save us.” Then why am I the only one here?

You can see the eye begin to shrink as the outline of the profile comes into view, looking to your left.

I'll save us.

I said that when all of us were there; before the war started. When things were just weird, before things got weird.

I'll save us.

I said that to those of us that were left when those that were left necessitated reassurance.

The profile turns, nose and mouth outlines coming into view. There is a shadow of short hair cresting the top of the head. The eye is still large, comprising most of the face's left side.

I'll save us.

But I didn't. I watched helplessly as friends, those that depended on me were shot, crushed, burned, stabbed. And somehow I got away. A few of us got away.

You can see the planet visible in the pupil. Its size the size the eye should be. It's crescent is growing, filling in more of the earth center of the eye.

I'll save us.

I said that when it was just her and me left. I tried to stop her crying, and I couldn't.

The crescent has covered the entire planet, the whole thing visible, and it starts to glow, humming.

I'll save us.

You can hear screeching, but you can't see where it comes from. The glowing seems to expand beyond the eye.

But I didn't.

CHE-UNG

A thunderous pulse fills chest and head.

CHE-UNG

Eardrums split. That doesn't stop feeling.

CHE-UNG

The face, the eye, the planet seem to become consumed in fire.

CHE-UNG

CHE-UNG

CHE-UNG

Why am I still here?

Nothing.

*

De-de-deet!

De-de-deet!

De-de-deet!

Saul's hand shot out from under the covers and smacked the alarm. He laid there for a minute adjusting to the flood of consciousness. He rolled to his back and rubbed his eyes. He stretched, and settled again. About to doze off, his alarm clock warned him, beeping manically. Saul conceded and shut off the alarm and got out of bed. He made his way to the window, and leaned against the wall staring outside.

“Weird dreams,” he said aloud and yawned. He stared outside watching the busy traffic below his 4th floor apartment. He stretched a final time and left the window to dig through his “clean” pile to find clothes for the day.

At first what he thought he felt was so imperceptible that he ignored it. But it persisted, gradually increasing.

CHE-UNG

CHE-UNG

CHE-UNG

It was overpowering. Saul went back to the window, and what he saw terrified him.

“Oh my God,” Saul whispered, dropping his clothes to the floor.

CHE-UNG

CHE-UNG

CHE-UNG

I'll save us.

No comments: