Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Daily Dime; Hell Hath No Fury Commentary

As always, read this after you read the story. So, read the stupid story first! Git!

I feel that this one requires some asplaining, because it's really bizarre, and if you make all the connections I was trying to hint at without trying to say ouright... yes. This cheerleader plans on stabbing a football player. I'm not sure if that was made clear enough without saying, "hey guys! Lemme make it stupid obvious for you!" I take the blame if not.

So, this story is one I've been kicking around for awhile. It's one that I think would be a humongous challenge on a few fronts. 1. it deals with a lot of psychological elements I've never dealt with before. I try to aim at a sort of high concept, but that's more mental than psychological, but i think it would be a unique challenge. 2. It has a level of subtlety that makes it complex. And if you're me, that's as hard as it sounds, if not harder. And that's what made this thing difficult to write, and the first story of the Daily Dime that required 3 drafts. This is due to number 3.

3. This story, were I to write it, is supposed to be something along the lines of Donnie Darko or The Fountain in that it's supposed to make you just wonder and wander along, not sure if you get it. I don't know if that's something I can do. I mean, here's the synopsis: cheerleader sees her quarterback boyfriend cheat on her right after being visited by the Lady of the Lake, and the cheerleader starts to go a little whacky. The Lady of the Lake tells the cheerleader that her boyfriend's a dragon, and that he must be slain, but the cheerleader doesn't want to take up this crusade. Most of the story is supposed to be that internal conflict and confusion. SPOILER WARNING! HEY! IF I EVER WRITE THIS, AND YOU EVER READ IT, THESE NEXT COUPLE OF SENTENCES MIGHT POTENTIALLY RUIN IT FOR YOU! ALRIGHT! WARNED YOU! The story would end in a mental institution. The story would be lame if that's all it was, but the goal would be to write it in such a way that it's not entirely clear if she really was crazy, or if she had a supernatural visitation and became a sort of martyr for it.

Apart from the obvious inspiration of the Lady of the Lake story I also though a good deal of Joan of Arc as the sort of protagonist. In some of my notes I refer to her as Joan.

I mostly think this story would be one that I would publish 3 or 4 books into my idealized career.

No comments: