Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Daily Dime: Parting is Sorrow

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

------------

"And you have to leave now, you understand that, right?" the blond head bobs up and down in acknowledgment. "We were there with Kevin, I was there with the couple in the car. We were there with the computer man. I've had to face you in every memory and in every way, and extinguish your image from my mind. You've been with me since your fear consumed you. But it can't be like this anymore.” The blond head bobs. The surroundings look just like that mall from so many days ago, but both parties acknowledge their illusion. There are no walls. This is no mall.

“I'm so sorry. I let fear get to me. I didn't know what to do,” she squeaks.

“Shh, it's ok. It's ok,” he encourages. “What's been done has been done, and we can't undo it. But understand that I'll miss you, but you have to go.”

“I'll miss you too.” The pair embrace over their fabricated food court table. She shakes. Rather, his memory of her shakes. They part, and the scene that had been given to him and made too familiar plays before him. The table begins to buckle under the pressure of immense heat, the white plastic chair turning into a puddle. Flames lick up at her from the ground and the table. This time there is no one around to watch and scream in terror at mystery fire.

We had to end it here. Where it started he thinks.

I know she responds. The fire begins to circle her. This time, she has a smile on her face, and her tears are no more. I can finally go there she thinks. The flame consumes her and the girl, the chair, the table; the entire illusion evaporate with her.

“I'll miss you,” he says.

Shhhhh

----------

wow. what a quick way to make a week move. just make a story a day bet with a friend. that friend would be gabe. i tried to make some sort of nice full circle thing. how'd it work?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! You rock...as a writer and a friend.

Hope it's cool that this is the blog I linked to on my blogroll.

You have so many, just wasn't sure :-)