Sunday, May 27, 2007

Please Accept My Humblest Apologies

So, since Ireland, I've felt an unusual amount of motivation, but working in direct contravention to my motivation, my mind has nothing with which to be motivated. Which is weak. Lame.

As such, I've decided to sort of push my mind into gear. I've turned one of my journals into my manuscript book, and I'm going to dedicate to one and only one manuscript. The book isn't written. Far from it. As of tonight, I have almost two pages of story to its name. However, this is the foreword I plan to put in front of the book.

*

In the grand tradition of books and the written word, it is my understanding that books share two common denominators. The first is words which are often constructed in a way so as to communicate ideas and concepts and, if one is lucky enough, emotions.

The second thing books share is the foreword. I've never entirely understood the purpose of the foreword. It seems to me to be the stage on which the author sets his piece and makes an illusory case. This case is the one he presents which makes it seem as if you don't like or disagree with his book, the fault is your own and not his.

He sets up an apologetic for his book. A defense designed to help you understand the book and hopefully be sympathetic to the author's goal and perhaps overlook a few oversights.

So the author apologizes for his book.

In the grand tradition of apologies and literary apologetics, let me say sorry.

Sorry.

I'm sorry for the contents of this book. Every word in here might not be true, but it's certainly truth, and I'm sorry things have to be this way. I'm sorry that things don't have to be this way, but are. I'm sorry that so many of us feel powerless to change us, and those that feel they have power often lack direction.

I'm sorry that this is happening to your brother. I'm sorry that it's happening to your dad, and your coworker, and that kid you made fun of in high school. I'm sorry that it's happening to me, and I'm sorry that it's happening to my friends.

We're sorry that it's happening to us.

However, to simply apologize isn't enough and is practically nothing. It's merely step one. I hope that this book, an illusory tale of smoke and shadows, makes up for the apology and actually helps to change things. Maybe it will help show a way to change.

Let's find a better way to be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that exact model. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were around 250 bucks on every page. But definitively I set this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good day people. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking as far as something that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were about 210 pounds on every site. But finally I found this locate selling them for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices seeking the boots are about 190 pounds on every site. But for all I base this location selling them for half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you tell me about these?